Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tensile Dogbone Specimen CNC Machining
Hi, 

I am looking for someone to machine on a CNC mill some steel "dogbone" tensile samples for uniaxial testing on an Instron. 

I would provide rough stock in the form of steel rectangular bars that will be oversized by up to 3 mm in each dimension. Each of those bars needs to be CNC machined to the ASTM E8 size of 100 mm long by 4-6 mm thick with grips of 10 mm width and narrowed gage portion width of 6+/-0.1 mm width. 

See sub-size specimen (0.25 in wide) in the table of Flat test specimen dimensions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_testing

I will have sets of 20 samples per week, mostly steels with occasional nickel-based or titanium alloys. If you are interested in this job or have used a service you'd recommend, please let me know. 

Thanks!
(12-02-2021, 02:57 AM)additivesubtractive Wrote: Hi, 

I am looking for someone to machine on a CNC mill some steel "dogbone" tensile samples for uniaxial testing on an Instron. 

I would provide rough stock in the form of steel rectangular bars that will be oversized by up to 3 mm in each dimension. Each of those bars needs to be CNC machined to the ASTM E8 size of 100 mm long by 4-6 mm thick with grips of 10 mm width and narrowed gage portion width of 6+/-0.1 mm width. 

See sub-size specimen (0.25 in wide) in the table of Flat test specimen dimensions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_testing

I will have sets of 20 samples per week, mostly steels with occasional nickel-based or titanium alloys. If you are interested in this job or have used a service you'd recommend, please let me know. 

Thanks!

This sounds like a project that would be within the abilities of the machines we have, and I might be interested, but you should be aware that currently Artisans is shut down as we are in the process of moving from Somerville to Allston.  We have encountered various delays in our build-out of the new locations, and it isn't clear just when we will be able to reopen, but it seems unlikely before early 2022, as we are still waiting for (N)eversource to run the increased electrical capacity we require to the building, and once that happens we will still need to do a lot of infrastructure work, setting up shops and studios etc.

As a side effect of this, few if any people are currently monitoring the forums, so you might not get any responses other than this.

I believe that updates on our status will be made on our main website, and I would encourage you to keep an eye on them and get back in touch when we re-open, but until then there isn't a lot we can do to help you.

ART
Thanks very much for the reply and for a bit of insight into the various moving pieces involved in moving into the new space. Fingers crossed for speedy progress!