Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike Lock Best Practices
I'm posting my original email here since the email threads got messed up and there is a ton of great ideas and good discussion happening. Hopefully everyone can continue the dialogue here! Generally useful information being shared, good to have for posterity 

##########

Howdy Ye Clever Folk - 

Got a question I think this group would be well poised to answer. What is harder to cut through?

A) braided encased wire a la kryptonite (like this, near top of photo) 
B) or big chain link 

[Image: 0?ui=2&ik=3ceb5775ae&attid=0.1&permmsgid..._krcfmigt0]

I'm trying to secure my bikes outside on my porch. The porch is fairly removed from the street. I had two bikes locked together all winter, not anchored to anything, and it was fine. Lately there have been some bike thefts but to my knowledge all stolen bikes were unlocked entirely. 

Anywho just curious what is the harder to cut through, a vs b above. 

Thanks! 
Spencer 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Not an expert, but in essence either of the options (and most any other) can be beat by a determined and properly equipped thief... The objective is less to stop them than it is to make it hard enough to make the bad guy move to the next target - some of this is how expensive the bikes are (or look...) a 'department store' bike is less of a target and needs less protection... Ditto bikes that look like 'beaters' (I did messenger work many years back, most of the bike guys had really ratty looking bikes on purpose - but close looking revealed that they were FAR better than they looked, but being ugly made them less of a theft target)

In terms of resistance, either can be cut easily with the right tools, but often the right tool for one method is less effective on the other.... A large enough bolt cutter will make short work of a chain, ditto a hack saw if you can hold the link still enough, but the cable will be more resistant to both... A torch will make short work of either. And so on - pick the tool and one will generally be better than the other, but either will probably be a good discouragement.... Also keep in mind that the lock is just as important as the cable / chain....

ART (who hasn't had to worry about bike locks for to many years....)

(07-20-2021, 10:18 PM)spenzo144 Wrote: I'm posting my original email here since the email threads got messed up and there is a ton of great ideas and good discussion happening. Hopefully everyone can continue the dialogue here! Generally useful information being shared, good to have for posterity 

##########

Howdy Ye Clever Folk - 

Got a question I think this group would be well poised to answer. What is harder to cut through?

A) braided encased wire a la kryptonite (like this, near top of photo) 
B) or big chain link 

[Image: 0?ui=2&ik=3ceb5775ae&attid=0.1&permmsgid..._krcfmigt0]

I'm trying to secure my bikes outside on my porch. The porch is fairly removed from the street. I had two bikes locked together all winter, not anchored to anything, and it was fine. Lately there have been some bike thefts but to my knowledge all stolen bikes were unlocked entirely. 

Anywho just curious what is the harder to cut through, a vs b above. 

Thanks! 
Spencer