Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bookcase repair
I have an old wooden bookcase with doors that have large glass panes.  While moving the bookcase it fell and one of the panes shattered.  The molding hold in the glass is very narrow and nailed in place.  I fear if I try and remove the molding I will break it.  I think someone with expertise and the right tools could handle this more easily.  I am looking for assistance in removing the remains of the broken glass and reinstalling new glass. I will you pay for your time.  I can bring the door and a new pane of glass to you. The glass is 12" x 3'-6".
Please respond here if you can help.

Thanks,
Laura

(11-29-2020, 08:34 PM)Laura Wernick Wrote: I have an old wooden bookcase with doors that have large glass panes.  While moving the bookcase it fell and one of the panes shattered.  The molding hold in the glass is very narrow and nailed in place.  I fear if I try and remove the molding I will break it.  I think someone with expertise and the right tools could handle this more easily.  I am looking for assistance in removing the remains of the broken glass and reinstalling new glass. I will you pay for your time.  I can bring the door and a new pane of glass to you. The glass is 12" x 3'-6".
Please respond here if you can help.

Thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the Artisan's forums.  Your project sounds like the kind of thing some of our members might be interested in, although I'm not the right person for the job myself...

Unfortunately, this post is sort of in the wrong area.  I'd suggest repeating it in the "Have it Made"  subforum a little ways down on the list of topic areas.  That is the area where members that are interested in outside projects look for them. 

As a side topic, you may want to look at using ''tempered" glass to replace all the panes.  From your photos, it looks like the doors had been made with regular 'float' or window glass, which has the disadvantage that when it breaks you get big pointy fragments with sharp edges that can easily cause serious injury.  Tempered glass is somewhat more resistant to breaking, but more importantly, when it breaks, it disintegrates into little chunks that are very unlikely to cause serious harm.  It is more expensive, and can be harder to get.  Another alternative might be a clear plastic like plexiglass / Lexan / polycarbonate, etc.

ART